Travel insurance is the most significant element of your trip. Can you drive a car without a car insurance? Can you buy a house without home insurance? Well, if you don’t want to put in jeopardy your travel budget, don’t take a trip without first getting a travel insurance.
Why Buy a Travel Insurance?
Because travel insurance is what will provide you with:
- medical coverage when you get ill or have an accident abroad
- compensate you when your flight is canceled or delayed
- it will cover all your expenses when, an unfortunate insistent occurs, a family member dies and you have to return home
- compensate you if you lose your luggage or even if it gets damaged
- it will even cover you for emergency dental care abroad.
- Most Medical Insurance programs don’t cover you overseas and credit cards offer really limited protection
I strongly advise you, like I do with my family and friends, to never leave home without getting a Travel Insurance. I’ve seen it help so many people and so many others disappointed for not getting it.
What to Look for in a Travel Policy.
- When looking for the best travel insurance plan, make sure they have a high coverage limit on your medical expenses. A good company will provide more than 150,000 Euros in coverage care, though more expensive policies will cover you for higher amounts. High coverage limits are important because if you get sick, injured, or need serious attention and have to seek professional care, you want to make sure your high hospital expenses are covered.
- Your travel insurance policy should cover transport to a properly equipped medical facility/repatriation in case of accident or sudden illness. Evacuation also should mean from the hospital to your home country. Standard emergency evacuation usually includes this provision, but it’s important you double-check a company will cover the cost of your flight back home if you need it.
What is not covered by your Travel Insurance
Most policies do not cover accidents sustained while participating in extreme adventure/sport activities such as hang gliding, paragliding, skiing, bungee jumping unless you pay extra.
The majority of companies won’t cover you if you cause death or injury to any person or Loss of or damage to any property. You can get coverage for Personal Liability when you pay an extra fee,
Policies do not normally cover alcohol- or drug-related incidents, or carelessness in handling your possessions and baggage. You won’t get reimbursed if the problem happened because you were irresponsible. Moreover, you won’t be covered for pre-existing conditions or general check-ups.
Get protected well ahead of your trip. Anything can go wrong before you travel and you have to cancel. Bad weather, injury, illness of a person your traveling with or even you, a strike are some of the reasons. Don’t wait to get your travel insurance because it will only cover you for things that happened after you bought the plan. Buy your Travel Insurance as soon as you decide the dates of your next trip.
There’s a great possibility that you will never need to use the travel insurance policy you bought. Bare in mind though that accidents happen and life on the road is ambiguous. Better be safe than sorry, especially when you are in a foreign country, thousands of miles away from home sweet home.